The Euroa Butter Factory built in 1901, sits beside Seven Creeks, just a short walk from the historic township of Euroa. Less than 2 hours drive from Melbourne along the Hume Highway, this picturesque town sits at the base of the Strathbogie Ranges and provides a wonderful location from which to explore North East Victoria.
In 1824 Hume & Hovel surveyed the Northern Central area of Victoria, choosing to camp on the pristine banks of what soon became known as the Sevens Creek in the township of Euroa. Abundant rainfall replenished the old creek beds that we see today, making this prime dairy country. By the late 1800’s, before Federation the colony of Victoria would transform into a major dairy producer.
By 1895 there were over 200 butter factories and 300 creameries registered in Victoria. The Shire of Strathbogie was reported to have 385 dairies supplying milk to the booming industry. Remnants of these structures, particularly on the back roads bear little resemblance to the grand buildings that once were common place.
THINGS TO DO
Whether you feel like heading to the hills on a bike, sampling regional wine or mooching around a few old antique stores, Euroa is a great base from which to enjoy all these things. The following are a few suggestions to start planning.
- The Euroa home page gives you a guide to local walks, heritage trails and cycling routes. A good source for information about what’s on in the town itself and maps to local Strathbogie Region wineries & attractions is euroa.org.au
- Ruffy Produce Store is a great little country store located a short drive into the Strathbogie Ranges from Euroa ruffy.com.au
- The King Valley wine region starts with Sam Miranda Wines near Oxley, about 45 minutes drive North of Euroa. A great day spent exploring the region’s wines winesofthekingvalley.com
- Historic Tahbilk Winery near Nagambie
- Historic Benalla - visit the Benalla Art Gallery, the local museum with its Ned Kelly displays and the fantastic antique store, Elm Tree Antiques on Nunn Street.
- The quirky cinema in the hills Swanpool Cinema swanpoolcinema.com.au
- Euroa Parachute school if diving out of planes is your thing skydivingmelbourne.com.au
- Winton Raceway wintonraceway.com.au