In 1824 Hume & Hovel surveyed the Northern Central area of Victoria, choosing to camp on the pristine banks of what soon became known as the Sevens Creek in the township of Euroa. Abundant rainfall replenished the old creek beds that we see today, making this prime dairy country. By the late 1800’s, before Federation the colony of Victoria would transform into a major dairy producer.
By 1895 there were over 200 butter factories and 300 creameries registered in Victoria. The Shire of Strathbogie was reported to have 385 dairies supplying milk to the booming industry. Remnants of these structures, particularly on the back roads bare little resemblance to the grand buildings that once were common place.